Saturday, February 25, 2012

Scrapping College Style

I've been a bad blogger this month. Life has gotten super busy. I have midterms on Monday and Tuesday. Then it is spring break. Normal as usual, there is a blizzard threatening my departure for break. I am hoping to pull out of town in front of the storm.

Life has been exciting lately. Lots of classroom time. I am writing and teaching my own lessons in the special ed classroom where I am placed this year. I was very excited with how my lesson went last week. I also was able to attend an exciting Special Ed conference last week. I went to a day long seminar on Aspergers Syndrome. I learned so much.


Now to the real stuff. Scrapping in a small college apartment. My apartment is so much better than the dorms, but still crammed for space.  My rolling cart stays in my living room, and my cricut stay on top of it. The contents in the draws vary. The best part, the cart fits right behind my passenger seat in my car....if the seat is pulled all the way forward. I picked up the cart at a thrift store, but the tags were still on, and it was from the Target office section.


I store the rest of my scrappy stuff under my bed. Its really the only space I have. But its still more storage than the dorms. I have my rolling tote, an arm tote (my favorite thing ever), my cuttlebug, and some extra reusable bags (my cricut tote).



Inside the rolling tote I have two Iris cases. I use these to store paper and my premade kits. I just bring it own when I want it all. I keep my extra adhesive in one pocket, embellishments in the second side pockets, and cricut mats in the front compartment. I would love a bigger tote if I had the funds.My arm tote (also from Target) holds all the essentials. I have a big paper cutter back at home, but I just use a small Fiskars here. I have my small Creative Memories Guillotine Cutter. I also keep my ATG, Sew Easy mat, and a variety of adhesives, pens, and other tools in the arm tote.



My kits are the key to traveling lite. I am a chronological scrapper. I print my pictures ( I love snapfish) and then make kits. My kits include pictures, patterned paper, cardstock, any ribbon, or other embellishments. I just stack them in my Iris cases. Sometimes I will use scrapbook folders to organize a supplies for a specific group of pictures. This eliminates me bringing a lot of paper, since I don't have an elevator. I make new kits every time I go back to my parents house. So I am swapping supplies every 4-8 weeks depending on when I can pull off a trip home.


I will admit it takes a lot to keep stuff organized going back and forth. I have a notebook keeping track of layouts. I write down the name of page once I have the kit together. I have a running list of what pictures I have with me here at school. I highlight the page once it is done. I would like to move this to a spread sheet when I have time. I would like to start keeping track of everything together. Pictures printed, pictures printed and with a kit, when it is done, etc. Someday I will have time. And to think I am almost done with college!

This is the shelf my sister took to school with her. I wish I would have had this in my dorm room. Its super tall and skinny, and doesn't take up much space. Tall albums fit on the shelves. I would have done a combo of text books, binders, and scrappy stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Look at you, Miss Organized!! But you're right - with limited space, you have to be organized or it doesn't work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hang in there right now college is the most important thing for you, because when you get out you will be able to get a job where you make enough money to buy you the goodies you want now. Love Penny who wishes she would have went to college! I'm a new follower and I'd be honored if you followed me as well! Love Penny
    http://scrap-aholic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete